Magnesium is a mineral often overlooked. However, it is one of the six essential macro-minerals that make up 99% of the body’s mineral content. This mineral is essential for multiple processes within the body, and the health consequences of a deficiency can be significant. This mineral is important as it helps to build healthy bones, is essential for the production of energy from food, and enables nerves to function optimally. Thus, Magnesium is essential for all round good health.
Although it would be ideal to get all the magnesium that your body needs from your food, this is unlikely in today’s world. Most foods grown today are deficient in this mineral due to the herbicides used when growing them. As such, few people are able to get enough magnesium purely from their diet. It is, therefore, a good idea to acquire this mineral from external sources, like that of a magnesium spray such as RapidMag.
There is no truly accurate test to see if you are magnesium deficient. However, there are symptoms that point to a deficiency. The early signs of a magnesium deficiency include headaches, fatigue, nausea, a loss of appetite, and weakness. An on going deficiency, however, can lead to more serious symptoms, such as muscle contractions and cramps, numbness and tingling, coronary spasms, seizures, and an abnormal heart rhythm.
The Benefits of External Magnesium Application
External or transdermal magnesium application refers to the absorption of magnesium via the skin. This form of magnesium application is easy to administer and is far more effective and reliable than traditional orally administered magnesium. As such, external magnesium application bypasses the digestive system so that the associated problems with the oral administration of magnesium, like poor re-absorption or diarrhea, are eliminated. Furthermore, external application of this mineral allows for rapid skin penetration.
Some of the benefits of magnesium that you can gain from externally applied magnesium include the following;
- Magnesium can improve the functioning of the metabolism
- The more of this mineral available in our bodies, the better for the production of energy. Moreover, it allows athletes to perform better, maintain energy for longer and have a faster recovery time.
- This mineral hardens and stabilizes bones, which means that it is essential for children whose bones and teeth are forming.
- However, magnesium is also essential for the aged in terms of the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
- Moreover, magnesium is important for the healthy functioning of the nervous system for the transmission of signals from the brain to muscles and nerves, translating into actions.
- Magnesium is also very important in terms of relaxing your muscles and preventing muscle cramps.
- The relaxing effect of this mineral for your muscles is particularly important in terms of cardiovascular health and the stimulus conduction in the heart. As such, Magnesium prevents the heart from being overloaded, thus supporting healthy cardiac activity.
- It has also been shown to be an important mineral in terms of fat burning and weight loss.
- Lastly, Magnesium is integral to the production of proteins in our body.
It is therefore evident that magnesium is essential for the overall health of our bodies.